LORAIN COUNTY OHIO – The LCWO, in conjunction with the Lorain Lighthouse Foundation, Inc., will operate amateur radio station NW8S from the Lorain Harbor Light, USA-453 / US0143, in support of the International Lighthouse Lightship Weekend 16, 17 & 18 August 2013.
The goal of the event is to “Promote public awareness of lighthouses and lightships and their need for preservation and restoration, and at the same time to promote amateur radio and to foster International goodwill. Lighthouses are fast becoming an endangered species with the introduction of Global Positioning Systems and Satellite Navigation and the automation of the light source to solar power which has resulted in the withdrawal of management personnel (Keepers). It is hoped that this event will highlight this situation and help prevent further desecration of these magnificent structures all around the world.” (Source: ILLW)
Arriving by boat Friday 16 August LCWO along with equipment and provisions will run a three man team operating 48 hours straight from the 1st floor of the lighthouse. Simple wire antennas will be used providing a global reach without the use of cell phones, Internet or modern communication methods. Much as “Long Haul” communications would have taken place in 1917 when the lighthouse was built.
Some 500 lighthouses and lightships in over 50 countries will participate this year. Many historical treasures of the Great Lakes will be occupied such as the Dunkirk Lighthouse, Fort Niagara Lighthouse, MarbleheadLighthouse and South Bass Island Lighthouse.
Historical international lighthouses including Cape Bear Lighthouse & Cape Race Light Station will also participate. Who’s wire antennas, the same type of antennas used by LCWO for this event, first heard SOS SOS at 12:15 AM on April 14th 1912 sounding the Titanic’s calls for help and ushering in of the “Wireless” age.
As for the Lorain Harbor Light this will mark the second consecutive year an amateur radio station has operated from the lighthouse since 1917. Marking only the second time in decades that the lighthouse has been occupied overnight. There are three light structures in Lorain Harbor. From east to west; Lorain East Detached Breakwater Light, Lorain Middle Breakwater Light & Lorain Harbor Light. The US Army Corps of Engineers completed the lighthouse in 1917 resting it in 30’ of water in wooden cribs filled with sandstone then later encasing its base in concrete. The original focal plane, at 58’, was a Forth Order Fresnel Lens which could be seen for approximately 15 miles out on Lake Erie. The USCG manned the lighthouse from 1939 thru 1965. In 1965 it was decommissioned and slated for demolition. After falling into years of disrepair & vandalism, and an uncertain fate, a group of concerned citizens formed the Port of Lorain Foundation, Inc. saving the lighthouse from the wrecking ball. Currently restoration efforts are underway to return the lighthouse to her status as “Jewel of the Port”
Please visit http://www.nw8s.com/ for band allocations and http://www.lorainlighthouse.com/ for more information regarding the Lorain Harbor Light. Or contact Jeff Evans, KB8ZUN, at email@example.com / 440-228-6081
Frequencies posted are subject to change with QRM and the NAQP .
FM - 146.505
10M - 28.350 / 28.050 / 28.120
12M - 24.940 / 24.900 ILLW during NAQP
15M - 21.350 / 21.050 / 21.070
17M - 18.150 / 18.080 ILLW during NAQP
20M - 14.275 / 14.050 / 14.070
40M - 7.210 / 7.050 / 7.070
80M - 3.810 / 3.550 / 3.580